Is Your Business Suffering From
Segregated Tools Syndrome (STS)?
The modern business depends on business management software platforms to support sustaining its competitive advantage.
However, if not selected properly, the organization may suffer from STS, short for Segregated Tools Syndrome.
STS is the term we use when an organization chops up its business data and knowledge across multiple business management platforms, such as Salesforce, Confluence, Jira, Smartsheet, Wrike, Office365, Slack, etc., impairing organizational unity and decision making.
Some of the signs of STS are:
- Employees are disengaged, frustrated, and confused by the disruptive, multi-platform work environment with unique requirements.
- Ineffective decisions or slow decision processes abound because your business data and knowledge is distributed over multiple sources as opposed to being accumulated in a single all-in-one platform for quick and easy consumption.
- The business lacks unity and transparency because stakeholders do not have access to all required platforms - sometimes because high per-user pricing makes onboarding every stakeholder to every platform cost prohibitive or because managing user access to information in each platform is impossible or very difficult.
- Work is done inefficiently and many meetings and interruptions occur to bridge systems and fill data gaps.
- The employee onboarding process is complex.
- Selecting business management platforms with incomplete knowledge or expertise. This leads to less than optimal decisions.
- Fulfilling the wishes of a few functional leaders instead of considering the interests of the organization as a whole. For example, a business implements Salesforce CRM for the sales team without considering Project Management data, legal data, regulatory data, HR data, or communication/collaboration data - all of which may be critical for business decisions and should be readily available to executives in a single environment, anytime and anywhere, for efficient and agile decision making.
- Choosing a platform reactively, based on immediate needs, instead of proactively with a well-thought-out plan: Reactivity brings the business to junctures where business continuity is threatened by factors such as severe inefficiency or knowledge escape as employees leave the organization for other opportunities. Being left with limited time, decision makers rush to choose single-featured tools to minimize damage without a chance to consider all criteria or alternatives.
Solution providers know it well that once you start using systems to capture business knowledge and data, data migration becomes difficult and they have you locked-in. Therefore, to prevent STS, it is critical to pick the right platform, as early as possible, for accumulating your business information during different stages of growth.
SEED can help protect your business against STS through providing knowledge, expertise, and carefully selected partner solutions. Check out our SEED-PRO package specifically tailored to address STS.